350g plain flour plus extra for rolling out
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate soda
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
125g of butter
175g of light soft brown sugar
1 free range egg
4 tablespoons of golden syrup
Writing icing for decoration
- Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, ginger and cinnamon and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and blend until the mix looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Lightly beat the egg and the golden syrup together, add to the food processer and pulse until mixture clumps together. Tip the dough out, knead briefly until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and leave to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / 350F or gas mark 4. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Roll the dough out to a 0.5cm / ¼ in thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using cutters, cut out the gingerbread men shapes and place on a baking tray making sure there is a gap between them. For decorations, use a skewer to make a small hole on the top of each of them.
- Bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until they are a light golden brown. Leave on the tray for 10 minutes and then move them to a wire rack for further cooling.
- When the biscuits are cooled you can then decorate them with the writing icing and cake decorations the way that you wish.
Article by Amy Curtis