225g plain flour
4 tablespoons of icing sugar
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
150g of softened butter
2 tablespoons of orange zest
4 tablespoons of ice water
200g of mincemeat
1 beaten egg
Icing sugar for dusting
- Set the oven to 200 C or gas mark 6.
- Sift together the flour, icing sugar and cinnamon and then use a pastry cutter or two forks to mix in butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Then stir in the orange zest and sprinkle with the ice water.
- Gather the dough into a ball and roll it out on a lightly floured surface so that it is about 5cm thick.
- Cut out about 18 (7cm) diameter circles, and 18 (5cm) diameter circles rerolling the dough as needed.
- Line muffin tin or patty tin using the larger pastry circles. Fill each pastry shell with about 1 tablespoon of mincemeat. Then place on top the smaller pastry circles pinching the pastry together to seal the edges. Brush the top of each pie with the egg.
- Bake the mince pies in the oven until tops are golden brown which will take about 15 – 20 minutes. Leave to cool and then dust with icing sugar before serving.
Article by Amy Curtis.